Instructions for a hunt !
- April 2002 New hunt proposed for May 2002 thru the end of the
this is a bomb).
- For the duration of 2002 we want to have TEAM hunts.
- Team hunts help prepare us for real life searches.
- Each month we will pick from a hat next months FOX.
- NO monthly winner.
- At the end of the year the Fox that was the best at hiding will
- Fox has 5watts max power.
- Fox has Antenna?
- Fax transmitts every x minutes? (Real jammers do it whenever
Maybe a max time between transmitts?
- Berkshire County wide. (July is New England wide!)
- Start from home (stay at home if you like!) or where ever you
- Check in on 146.91!
- Hunt on simplex 147.42 (Tentative) Is this freq in use?
- Coordinate on what ever repeater or freq you can use.
- The object is to work together. Suggestions:
- Start at home, just like a real search.
- After starting, spread out to cover more area and TRIANGULATE!
- The closest person at the start should be the only person to
- The hunt is OVER when the first Hound finds the fox.
- Other hounds should help triangulate NOT get to the fox.
- From home every one should report signal strengths.
- Try HT with duck on&off. Report if you hear!
- MILEAGE ! (otherwise known as the California hunt)
Editorial comment: Some California hunts have Time limits of 5 hours.
that do not reach the fox before then are out. That's only when
one minute out of every 10 minutes as they normaly do. In the interest
of time and attempting to not be boring I suggest the above Northern
version which uses almost no dead air and rarely have people unable to
complete the hunt..
- Everyone checks in and starts from the parking lot at
BEFORE 10 am.
- When checking in give your current odometer reading.
- The fox will transmit almost continuously (rather than once
Transmits a few minutes then breaks for one minute or so. (Northern
- Late starters still have to get to the Bradley's parking lot
- Follow all General rules (see below) as applicable.
- Winter rules: (November through March) keep the hunts fun.
- The hunt should be postponed/canceled if snow or ice covers or
roads in the area.
- No fox's on hill tops or steep roads.
- fox should make sure there is sufficient safe off the main road
for the hounds.
- The Fox should be accessible from a paved road.
- Checkin on 147.03 at 10 am on the day of the hunt. Give your
- Try not to exceed posted speed limits.
- Unless otherwise specified, all foxes will hide within town of
or any of its directly adjacent towns.
- Foxes should not hide on private or restricted property. Malls,
lots, no charge parks are usually ok.
- The fox should be heard on the output of the 147.03 repeater for
be considered in proper hiding. Remember that 147.03 is outside the
corner of the hide able areas.
- Foxes should be visible from a public road.
- Our hunts currently involve only single stationary fox's. **
- No power or antenna limits are imposed at
this time. **
- Timed hunts: Foxes should transmit once every 5 minutes for about
Since some of the Hounds have to stop the car its best to be
about your transmissions. The fox should give a time check at the start
and do the transmission on the mark of each 5 minutes. IE-
etc.... A real jammer would not be so predictable, but, a jammer would
not transmit for just one minute each time either. These hunts are for
July The Hounds Wide area Hunt:
The rules are yet to be defined but the idea is to have
a hunt that can have the fox Anywhere in the range of the 147.030
??? The Hounds Simulated Emergency Hunt.
NO WINNER except the Fox! Every once and a while we may get the call to
find a down plane or lost hiker. We should hone our skills to work as a
group taking advantage of all our skills and our ability to
together. Again, nobody will win because the object is to work together
in a simulated emergency situation.
To return to return to the NoBarc home page click
This page was last updated April